Birth Month Day 4: C is for Chris...Chrissy...Christina and Day 3 Recap



I have a confession to make.

My name isn't Chrissy.

It's also not Chris.

It's Christina.

Crazy, right? Ok, yeah. It's not so crazy, but it seems funny to say that as my name. The only time I really use it is at the doctor's office, the DMV, and on my tax return.

It's a pretty name , but long ago, in a land far away, I decided to leave it behind.

Let's rewind a bit. Back to the year 1982. Many of you may not have been born yet. I was 6 years old and in the first grade. Up to this point, ok Kindergarten, I had gone by Christina. It's what I signed up for school with and that is what the teachers called me. I had broken my arm during Kindergarten and had a huge cast on for a large chunk of the year (I got in a pushing match with boys at church and busted my arm and got knocked unconscious...but that's a story for another day!)

It had been difficult for me to relearn to write and I ended up holding my pencil in a weird way. It made my little hand tired when we had to write a lot. Writing Christina now doesn't seem like a lot of work, but to a little 6 year old who is relearning to write, it took a long time. By the time I had my name on the top of my paper, the teacher had already given the instructions and the class was working on the papers. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.

I don't remember what made me do it or why I chose the name that I did, but I went to my teacher and told her from now on I was to be called "Chris". She agreed and away we went. My mom didn't know until a week or so later when I brought my work home with my new name on it.

At home and at church, I was used to being called Chrissy or Christy, so my mom was shocked that I chose "Chris." I remember now thinking the other names were for little girls (um, yeah. I was 6 and had pigtails.) and that I didn't like being called that. So Chris it was from then on.

Every once in awhile, a friend or boyfriend would slip and call me Chrissy. I never threw a fit, but I wasn't a fan of it. However, in college, I finally embraced being called it by my close friends as a term of endearment. But only my close friends.

I don't know why I didn't want to have a girly name. If you haven't noticed, I'm a rather girly girl. I think that maybe "Chris" makes me be taken seriously. As an accountant and now in leadership, I'm not sure how seriously "Chrissy" with the pink hair and little girl voice would get taken. The older I get though, the more I think I like it. It makes me feel connected with the little girl I didn't really let myself be. :)

So now you know all of my aliases...be careful how you use them :)

Birth month Day 3 Recap!
Upper left: a morning coffee and quiet thinking time at work
Upper middle: I had a blast writing about my favorite books...make sure you check it out and see if we have anything in common.
Upper right: started my morning off with NKOTB and my favorite song
Middle left: An amazing portrait made for me by one of my favorite friend's daughter, Jordan. She is an amazing girl and a wonderful artist. 
Middle right: my fun thrifted necklace...I noticed that it had a stone missing, but I have flaws too so we go together well!
Bottom left: my favorite chips with lunch!
Bottom middle: Wore my favorite dress and a giant ring
Bottom right: My sweet MIL found me this adorable nativity to paint and add to my collection! So fun!

Thank you , friend for stopping by tonight! I look forward to seeing you tomorrow to talk about my letter D and fill you in on the fun from today. :)

peace, love, and shorter names,
christina, chris, chrissy :)

Comments

Popular Posts